LONDON, UK —Audubon International has designated FM Global’s 93-acre [38-hectare] corporate office park in Johnston, Rhode Island, as a “Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary.” The site is the first in the state to receive the certification and one of only 32 such properties in the world.
The sanctuary certification recognises FM Global for maintaining a high degree of environmental quality in five “environmental priority areas,” including environmental planning, wildlife habitat management, water quality and conservation, resource management, as well as outreach and education.
According to Tim Faulkner, president of the board of directors of the Barrington Land Conservation Trust, who was involved with assessing the site during the certification process, “FM Global is the most environmentally conscious office park I’ve been to in Southern New England.”
Among the private sanctuary’s features:
- 77 acres [31 hectares] of wildlife habitat, including 55 acres [22 hectares] of woodlands, 20 acres [eight hectares] of wetlands, four acres [two hectares] of fields and wildflower meadows, two ponds and one stream
- 95 percent of the landscaped trees, shrubs and flowers are native species to maximise breeding, nesting and resting places for a variety of wildlife species
- Nearly 40 wildlife species have been identified on the property
- Natural nesting sites for birds are supplemented with nest boxes
- One mile of walkways
- The site’s two water retention ponds are enhanced with aquatic plants to provide habitat for wildlife
- Natural areas and landscaping are not highly manicured and the majority of vegetation is left undisturbed
- 100 percent of reclaimed water from rainwater collection is used for irrigation
- The eight-acre [3-hectare] corporate offices building is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified by the U.S. Green Building Council for its resource efficiency
- 100 percent of FM Global employees participate in waste reduction and recycling programs with 84 tons [76 tonnes] recycled per year
“FM Global has shown a strong commitment to its environmental program,” said Tara Donadio, Audubon International’s director of cooperative sanctuary programs. “They are to be commended for their efforts to provide a sanctuary for wildlife on their property. By taking action to implement indoor and outdoor conservation projects, the management and staff at FM Global have demonstrated their commitment to the sustainable management of their natural resources.”
This is the second time FM Global has been recognised by the Audubon movement. In 2015, the Audubon Society of Rhode Island named FM Global its ‘Business of the Year,’ noting the company’s “leadership in applying environmentally sound and innovative practices to its day-to-day business operations.”
About FM Global
Established nearly two centuries ago, FM Global’s capital, scientific research capability and engineering expertise are solely dedicated to property risk management and the resilience of its client-owners. These owners, who share the belief that the majority of property loss is preventable, represent many of the world’s largest organisations. They work with FM Global to better understand the hazards that can impact their business continuity in order to make cost-effective risk management decisions, combining property loss prevention with insurance protection.